[Qgis-user] QGIS Web Client for Windows 7
Markus Weidenbach
2014-03-13 09:37:14 UTC
Dear List,

for 2 days I was trying to get the QGIS Web Client running on my Windows
7 / Apache 2 system.
I think I checked almost all comments and (still left open) questions on
that issue on the web and this mailing list and my impression is, that
nobody ever successfully installed the QGIS Web Client on Windows/Apache
or am I wrong (?).

So, before I change to 3Liz lizmap-web-client, this post is my last hope
to get a positive answer ....

My settings are:
- Windows 7, 64 bit with QGIS 2.2 and _fully working QGIS Server_ on
Windows/Apache (all updated/loaded on 10. March 2014 from OSGEO4W setup,
QGIS Server and Apache loaded with OSGEO4W "Web GIS Fast Installation"
setup mode).
- QGIS Web Client downloaded ZIP from
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Web-Client on 10. march 2014

Like many other users I could successfully install the QGIS Server and
display my *.qgs data as a map on the browser and also get the
GetCapabilities information etc.
If you find my server switched on you can check:
http://landconsult.no-ip.com/qgis/qgis_mapserv.fcgi.exe?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&SRS=EPSG:31467&REQUEST=GetMap&map=C:/OSGeo4W/apps/qgis/bin/wms_demo.qgs&BBOX=3453493.9,5358354.8,3461626.4,5363507.8&WIDTH=1000&HEIGHT=800&LAYERS=weg,bach&FORMAT=image/png

But after the setting-up of the QGIS Web Client files under
C:\OSGeo4W\apache\htdocs\QGIS-Web-Client-master and after adjusting all
possible paths (including the right path in the GlobalOptions.js file at
<<var serverAndCGI = "http://127.0.0.1/qgis/qgis_mapserv.fcgi.exe">> I
was only able to see the QGIS Web Client interface but unfortunately not
the default map "helloworld.qgs".

http://landconsult.no-ip.com/QGIS-Web-Client-master/site/qgiswebclient.html?map=/Qgis-Web-Client-master/projects/helloworld.qgs

So after all the reading and testing, I am not sure if QGIS WebClient is
able to run on Windows/Apache at all?

Is there anybody out there with a working QGIS Web Client on Windows/Apache?

Thanks for your answers in advance (even if it is "no").

Regards,

Markus

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
So, before I change to 3Liz lizmap-web-client, this post is my last hope to
get a positive answer ....
Hi, You can look also to GIS.lab project [1] which provides even better
features and no configuration is needed - everything is automatically
installed and autodetected from QGIS project file. Version with many
improvements in GIS.lab WebGIS client [2] is planed in May (until now master
version can be tried).

1 - http://imincik.github.io/gis-lab
2 - http://imincik.github.io/gis-lab/pages/gislab-client.html

- --
Ivan Min??k
ivan.mincik at gmail.com GPG: 0x79529A1E http://imincik.github.io/0x79529A1E.key
ivan.mincik at gista.sk GPG: 0xD714B02C http://imincik.github.io/0xD714B02C.key
Bernhard Ströbl
2014-03-13 11:10:25 UTC
Hi Markus,

I have no experience with QWC and Windows but maybe if you describe what
you have done and what happens you may get an answer from the list. Your
URLs are not accessible (time-out), at least for me.
More comments below
Post by Markus Weidenbach
[...]
this is not Hello World, is it?
Post by Markus Weidenbach
But after the setting-up of the QGIS Web Client files under
C:\OSGeo4W\apache\htdocs\QGIS-Web-Client-master and after adjusting all
possible paths (including the right path in the GlobalOptions.js file at
<<var serverAndCGI = "http://127.0.0.1/qgis/qgis_mapserv.fcgi.exe">> I
was only able to see the QGIS Web Client interface but unfortunately not
the default map "helloworld.qgs".
http://landconsult.no-ip.com/QGIS-Web-Client-master/site/qgiswebclient.html?map=/Qgis-Web-Client-master/projects/helloworld.qgs
so do you get Hello world in another client (entering a GetMap request
in your Browser or QGIS desktop)?
Why are you not setting QWC on the project you mention above in order to
decide whether it is a server or client problem?
Post by Markus Weidenbach
So after all the reading and testing, I am not sure if QGIS WebClient is
able to run on Windows/Apache at all?
Is there anybody out there with a working QGIS Web Client on Windows/Apache?
Thanks for your answers in advance (even if it is "no").
Regards,
Markus
Bernhard

__________ Information from ESET Security, version of virus signature database 9536 (20140313) __________

The message was checked by ESET Security.

part000.txt - is OK

http://www.eset.com
Markus Weidenbach
2014-03-13 20:07:19 UTC
Hi Bernhard,

thanks for your comments.
The helloworld.qgis is being provided within the QGIS Web Client Master
version as a default *.qgs stored in
C:\OSGeo4W\apache\htdocs\QGIS-Web-Client-master\projects , so that`s why
I think it should work.

Now I found that it is not even working as a simple QGIS Server WMS
Request, as follows:
http://landconsult.no-ip.com/qgis/qgis_mapserv.fcgi.exe?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&SRS=EPSG:3857&REQUEST=GetMap&map=C:\OSGeo4W\apache\htdocs\QGIS-Web-Client-master\projects\helloworld.qgs&BBOX=-25749149,-13032966,26101391,21121731&WIDTH=1000&HEIGHT=800&LAYERS=Hello,Country&FORMAT=image/png

Instead my own qgis project "wms_demo.qgs" with two shape files works
fine with the QGIS Server but it does not work with the Web Client ...

This works fine:
http://landconsult.no-ip.com/qgis/qgis_mapserv.fcgi.exe?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&SRS=EPSG:31467&REQUEST=GetMap&map=C:\OSGeo4W\apache\htdocs\QGIS-Web-Client-master\projects\wms_demo.qgs&BBOX=3453493.9,5358354.8,3461626.4,5363507.8&WIDTH=1000&HEIGHT=800&LAYERS=weg,bach&FORMAT=image/png

it also works without the SRS/EPSG information:
http://landconsult.no-ip.com/qgis/qgis_mapserv.fcgi.exe?REQUEST=GetMap&map=C:\OSGeo4W\apache\htdocs\QGIS-Web-Client-master\projects\wms_demo.qgs&BBOX=3453493.9,5358354.8,3461626.4,5363507.8&WIDTH=1000&HEIGHT=800&LAYERS=weg,bach&FORMAT=image/png

But this one does not work (WebClient Interface is o.k., but shapes are
not loading):
http://landconsult.no-ip.com/QGIS-Web-Client-master/site/qgiswebclient.html?map=../projects/wms_demo.qgs

I am afraid the reason might be a simple path setting in the
C:\OSGeo4W\apache\htdocs\QGIS-Web-Client-master\site\js files ....
that?s why it would be helpful to know somebody with a working QWC on
Windows.

Regards,
Markus
--
Dr. Markus Weidenbach
*landConsult.de*
Post by Markus Weidenbach
So after all the reading and testing, I am not sure if QGIS WebClient is
able to run on Windows/Apache at all?
Is there anybody out there with a working QGIS Web Client on
Windows/Apache?
Thanks for your answers in advance (even if it is "no").
Regards,
Markus
Bernhard
__________ Information from ESET Security, version of virus signature
database 9536 (20140313) __________
The message was checked by ESET Security.
part000.txt - is OK
http://www.eset.com
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Hi Markus,

I cannot access any of the URLs you provided, are they supposed to be
accessed from the internet?
If you want to use your demo project you have to set the projection in
GlobalOptions.js to the projection of your data and project (i.e.
EPSG:31467). Therefore you need to define this projection as projection
file in site/js/libs/proj4js/defs I just added EPSG:31468 to QWC for you
to see how to do it. So checkout the latest version first.
You also have to set yx in LayerOptions to true for EPSG:31467.

Hope that helps

Bernhard
Post by Markus Weidenbach
So after all the reading and testing, I am not sure if QGIS WebClient is
able to run on Windows/Apache at all?
Is there anybody out there with a working QGIS Web Client on
Windows/Apache?
Thanks for your answers in advance (even if it is "no").
Regards,
Markus
Bernhard
__________ Information from ESET Security, version of virus signature
database 9536 (20140313) __________
The message was checked by ESET Security.
part000.txt - is OK
http://www.eset.com
The message was checked by ESET Security.
- is OK
Post by Bernhard Ströbl
MIME > part000.txt - is OK
MIME > part001.htm - is OK
part001.txt - is OK
http://www.eset.com
The message was checked by ESET Security.
- is OK
Post by Bernhard Ströbl
MIME > part000.txt - is OK
MIME > part001.htm - is OK
part001.txt - is OK
http://www.eset.com
__________ Information from ESET Security, version of virus signature database 9540 (20140313) __________

http://www.eset.com
Markus Weidenbach
2014-03-14 10:49:40 UTC
Thanks again Bernhard.
Currently during the testing phase my server is only running from about
09:00 - 18:00, when I am working in the office.
On http://landconsult.no-ip.com/QGIS-Web-Client-master/site/ you find
also the link to my wms_demo.qgs

Thanks for the EPSG 31468 (GK4) update, I downloaded it (but since my
EPSG is GK3 with EPSG 31467, I locally added a new entry to the file wit
the EPSG 31467 parameters ).
I restartet Apache and the QWC again, but with no success.

Meanwhile I think the reason could be differences between the paths
needed for Linux and the ones needed for Windows and the different
syntax, which could easily be a source for a small misspelling
somewhere in the *.config or *.js files.

And like other window users, I also got confused about the function of
(a)
C:\OSGeo4W\apache\htdocs\QGIS-Web-Client-master\cgi-bin\qgis_mapserv.fcgi and
(b) C:\OSGeo4W\apps\qgis\bin\qgis_mapserv.fcgi.exe

(b) is successfully being ued by my QGIS Map Server, but what file
should be used by QWC?
(a) looks to me like an uncompiled version of (b), again with some Linux
paths and variables in it and it is addressed in the default setting in
GlobalOptions.js and GISProjectListing.js?

And when I execute (b) in a DOS CMD window I got following error
(although the file works fine for the QGIS Server GetMap Request as
described before):

*ERROR 4: Unable to open EPSG support file gcs.csv.**
**Try setting the GDAL_DATA environment variable to point to the
directory containig EPSG csv files.**
*
Do you have any idea where to set the variable and where are the EPSG
csv files?

Regards,

Markus
--
Post by Markus Weidenbach
So after all the reading and testing, I am not sure if QGIS
WebClient is
able to run on Windows/Apache at all?
Is there anybody out there with a working QGIS Web Client on Windows/Apache?
Thanks for your answers in advance (even if it is "no").
Regards,
Markus
Bernhard
__________ Information from ESET Security, version of virus signature
database 9536 (20140313) __________
The message was checked by ESET Security.
part000.txt - is OK
http://www.eset.com
The message was checked by ESET Security.
- is OK
Post by Bernhard Ströbl
MIME > part000.txt - is OK
MIME > part001.htm - is OK
part001.txt - is OK
http://www.eset.com
Post by Markus Weidenbach
Thanks again Bernhard.
Currently during the testing phase my server is only running from about
09:00 - 18:00, when I am working in the office.
On http://landconsult.no-ip.com/QGIS-Web-Client-master/site/ you find
also the link to my wms_demo.qgs
OK, now I can access it. Use firebug in firefox to see what happens. If
you do that you will realize that the error is that
cgi-bin/qgis_mapsserv.fcgi is not accessible.
http://landconsult.no-ip.com/cgi-bin/qgis_mapserv.fcgi?map=../projects/helloworld.qgs&&_dc=1394795203156&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3&REQUEST=GetProjectSettings

so first thing to do is to get your QGIS server running.
GetProjectSettings or GetCapabilities must return something sensible.
You can check this in your browser (or QGIS desktop). As soon as a
GetMap request is successful (check this e.g. in QGIS desktop) you can
start configuring QWC.
Post by Markus Weidenbach
Thanks for the EPSG 31468 (GK4) update, I downloaded it (but since my
EPSG is GK3 with EPSG 31467, I locally added a new entry to the file wit
the EPSG 31467 parameters ).
You should duplicate the file, rename it to EPSG31467.js and change
whatever is necessary inside.
Post by Markus Weidenbach
I restartet Apache and the QWC again, but with no success.
Meanwhile I think the reason could be differences between the paths
needed for Linux and the ones needed for Windows and the different
syntax, which could easily be a source for a small misspelling
somewhere in the *.config or *.js files.
And like other window users, I also got confused about the function of
(a)
C:\OSGeo4W\apache\htdocs\QGIS-Web-Client-master\cgi-bin\qgis_mapserv.fcgi and
never realised this but it is obviously not for Windows
Post by Markus Weidenbach
(b) C:\OSGeo4W\apps\qgis\bin\qgis_mapserv.fcgi.exe
(b) is successfully being ued by my QGIS Map Server, but what file
should be used by QWC?
You are using the same because QWC runs on top of a qgsi_mapserv.fcgi
__________ Information from ESET Security, version of virus signature database 9541 (20140314) __________

http://www.eset.com
Markus Weidenbach
2014-03-14 11:37:19 UTC
Hi Bernhard,

that?s the point ... *my QGIS Server is running*, please test following
link without QWC:
http://landconsult.no-ip.com/qgis/qgis_mapserv.fcgi.exe?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&SRS=EPSG:31467&REQUEST=GetMap&map=C:/OSGeo4W/apache/htdocs/QGIS-Web-Client-master/projects/wms_demo.qgs&BBOX=3453493.9,5358354.8,3461626.4,5363507.8&WIDTH=1000&HEIGHT=800&LAYERS=weg,bach&FORMAT=image/png

In your link, you missed the *.exe extension in qgis_mapserv.fcgi ....
but when running it in QWC the *.qgi is not loading, test following:
http://landconsult.no-ip.com/QGIS-Web-Client-master/site/qgiswebclient.html?map=C:/OSGeo4W/apache/htdocs/QGIS-Web-Client-master/projects/wms_demo.qgs
Post by Markus Weidenbach
Hi Bernhard,
that?s the point ... *my QGIS Server is running*, please test following
http://landconsult.no-ip.com/qgis/qgis_mapserv.fcgi.exe?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&SRS=EPSG:31467&REQUEST=GetMap&map=C:/OSGeo4W/apache/htdocs/QGIS-Web-Client-master/projects/wms_demo.qgs&BBOX=3453493.9,5358354.8,3461626.4,5363507.8&WIDTH=1000&HEIGHT=800&LAYERS=weg,bach&FORMAT=image/png
In your link, you missed the *.exe extension in qgis_mapserv.fcgi ....
http://landconsult.no-ip.com/QGIS-Web-Client-master/site/qgiswebclient.html?map=C:/OSGeo4W/apache/htdocs/QGIS-Web-Client-master/projects/wms_demo.qgs
I missed the .exe because it is not called by QWC!
As I wrote: use firebfox with firebug and you'll see that QWC fails as
follows:
"NetworkError: 404 Not Found -
http://landconsult.no-ip.com/cgi-bin/qgis_mapserv.fcgi?map=C:/OSGeo4W/apache/htdocs/QGIS-Web-Client-master/projects/wms_demo.qgs&&_dc=1395042577212&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3&REQUEST=GetProjectSettings"

So you misconfigured the path to your fcgi. In GlobalOptions.js line 13
reads:
var serverAndCGI = "/cgi-bin/qgis_mapserv.fcgi";

Bernhard
__________ Information from ESET Security, version of virus signature database 9549 (20140316) __________

http://www.eset.com
Andreas Neumann
2014-03-17 08:45:01 UTC

I am just very briefly following this thread. It would be great if the
Windows users of QGIS server and web client could complete the
documentation.

There are many more Windows users running into problems with the
configuration of QGIS server and web client than Linux users.
Eventually, people are getting there but then don't take the time to
correct/complete a proper documentation. This is a community-driven
project - so everybody has some reponsibility ...

Thanks and good luck with the configuration,
Andreas
Post by Bernhard Ströbl
Hi Markus,
Markus Weidenbach
2014-03-23 18:19:33 UTC
Hi Andreas,

you are right, everybody who is using QGIS should feel a little bit
committed to give sth. back to the community, so do I and that?s why I
listed all steps I did to successfully run the QGIS Webclient under
Windows 7 below.
I think you are more into the QGIS WebClient issue than I am, so maybe
you (or any other from the list) can take the 14 steps, complete and/or
revise them and publish it at a more prominent place (?)

_*Successful QG**IS Server and QGIS WebClient Installation on Windos 7
as per 22.03.2014*_

That?s what I did in March 2014 to make it run on my Win 7 Prof 64bit
system, using QGIS 2:

1. Install QGIS Server and Apache from OSGEO4W by using the WebGIS
-Schnellinstallation (WebGIS-Fast-Installation) option, this will
install Apache and QGIS Server with an almost complete setting and
configuration.

2. If you whish you can have a look at Underdarks guidelines at
http://anitagraser.com/2012/04/06/qgis-server-on-windows7-step-by-step/,
but I think some steps have become obsolete with the WebGIS Fast
Installation from OSGEO4W.

3. Delete (!) the .exe extension of
C:\OSGeo4W\apps\qgis\bin\qgis_mapserv.fcgi.exe (new:
C:\OSGeo4W\apps\qgis\bin\qgis_mapserv.fcgi).
This is needed because the QGIS WebClient which you will install later,
can NOT address *.exe files, although the QGIS Server could ....

4. Test if the QGIS Server is working with a simple Map Request in your
browser e.g.:
http://localhost/qgis/qgis_mapserv.fcgi?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&SRS=EPSG:31467&REQUEST=GetMap&map=C:/path-to-a-simple-qgis-project.qgs&WIDTH=1000&HEIGHT=800&LAYERS=weg,bach&FORMAT=image/png

5. If you get the map on the browser - or just an XML formatted
information in case you just requested the GetCapabilities - then you
successfully installed the QGIS Server and you can go on with
downloading the QGIS WebClient ZIPFILE from GIT-Hub:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Web-Client

6. Unzip it to C:\OSGeo4W\apache\htdocs

7. The default setting in
C:\OSGeo4W\apache\htdocs\QGIS-Web-Client-master\site\js\GlobalOtions.js
is correctly addressing the QGIS Mapserver File (without *exe extension,
that you deleted before!):
It is using the variable /cgi-bin/, so it is:
var serverAndCGI = "/cgi-bin/qgis_mapserv.fcgi";
but physically the *.fcgi file is at C:\OSGeo4W\apps\qgis\bin (forget
about
C:\OSGeo4W\apache\htdocs\QGIS-Web-Client-master\cgi-bin\qgis_mapserv.fcgi,
I think this works only for LInux users to make a certain demo map run
...(?))

8. Change the default value in C:\OSGeo4W\apache\conf\httpd.conf file,
at line 330 (approximately):
from
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "C:\OSGeo4W/bin/"
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "C:\OSGeo4W/apps/qgis/bin/"

9. Restart Apache every time you make changes to Apaches conf files

10. Start the default page of the QGIS Web Client at
http://localhost/QGIS-Web-Client-master/site/

11. Check that the links to the *.qgs files in
http://localhost/QGIS-Web-Client-master/site/index.html
are correct (maybe the best is to start with entering an absolute path
for the *.qgs files, e.g. <a
href="qgiswebclient.html?map=C:/OSGeo4W/apache/htdocs/QGIS-Web-Client-master/projects/helloworld.qgs">

12. Clicking on that link above will open the QGIS Web Client Interface
and load the demo map "hello world"

13. To make the "Search Function" and the "Map Theme" running, some more
configuration is needed at the moment (that?s what I still have to do),
so ....

14. ... if problems arise, please check:
http://gis.stackexchange.com/feeds/tag/qgis-web-client where you find
new FAQ dealing with the QGIS WebClient.

Have fun!

Markus
--
Dr. Markus Weidenbach
*landConsult.de*
Geographical Information Management
and Environmental Planning
D-77815 B?hl
Germany
e.mail see: http://landConsult.de
Post by Andreas Neumann
Hi,
I am just very briefly following this thread. It would be great if the
Windows users of QGIS server and web client could complete the
documentation.
There are many more Windows users running into problems with the
configuration of QGIS server and web client than Linux users.
Eventually, people are getting there but then don't take the time to
correct/complete a proper documentation. This is a community-driven
project - so everybody has some reponsibility ...
Thanks and good luck with the configuration,
Andreas
Post by Bernhard Ströbl
Hi Markus,
Post by Markus Weidenbach
Post by Bernhard Ströbl
[...]
Good work Markus! I've been meaning to do this for some time and I've found a
few tricks to further push the limits of QWC which I will try to post
sometime soon. We should compare performance notes at some point (I notice
some lag and caching issues).

and let you know if it can be flushed out some more.

Cheers,

Markus Weidenbach
2014-03-19 09:58:59 UTC
Hi Bernhard,

with your information, that QWC is NOT calling *.exe files I finally
made the QWC running under windows!!!

Thanks a lot!

I did following:

Windows is using the windows executable
http://landconsult.no-ip.com/qgis/qgis_mapserv.fcgi.exe (physically this
file is located at C:\OSGeo4W\apps\qgis\bin\qgis_mapserv.fcgi.exe).

I deleted the .exe extension of
C:\OSGeo4W\apps\qgis\bin\qgis_mapserv.fcgi.exe (new:
C:\OSGeo4W\apps\qgis\bin\qgis_mapserv.fcgi).

I tested the WMS successfully with:
http://landconsult.no-ip.com/qgis/qgis_mapserv.fcgi?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&SRS=EPSG:31467&REQUEST=GetMap&map=C:/OSGeo4W/apache/htdocs/QGIS-Web-Client-master/projects/wms_demo.qgs&BBOX=3453493.9,5358354.8,3461626.4,5363507.8&WIDTH=1000&HEIGHT=800&LAYERS=weg,bach&FORMAT=image/png

Next, I checked the path in GlobalOptions.js
The default setting var serverAndCGI = "/cgi-bin/qgis_mapserv.fcgi";
works fine now, and the map in QWC is loading:
http://landconsult.no-ip.com/QGIS-Web-Client-master/site/qgiswebclient.html?map=C:/OSGeo4W/apache/htdocs/QGIS-Web-Client-master/projects/wms_demo.qgs
(for some reason I have to write the full path of the map, the relative
path is not working
http://landconsult.no-ip.com/QGIS-Web-Client-master/site/qgiswebclient.html?map=../projects/wms_demo.qgs,
but that?s secondary ...).

I remember that deleting the .exe extension of the gis_mapserv.fcgi.exe
has been discussed in the list before, but for a window user this is not
a bagatelle ....!
Also the file
"C:\OSGeo4W\apache\htdocs\QGIS-Web-Client-master\cgi-bin\qgis_mapserv_fcgi"
caused some confusion, what is it actually for?

Anyway, I am happy that I can go on now with the detaield configuration
of the QWC.

Regards,

Markus

Hi Markus,